New Discovery: The Beach BatsAugust 21, 2019
If you’ve ever wondered what it might sound like if Jim Morrison, Tom Waits, and Jimmy Buffet got together for a psychedelic beach party, do I have a band for you. Hailing from the great white north, Hamilton, Ontario’s The Beach Bats just released their debut album, Last Resort this past spring....
Interview with Jack KnightMay 27, 2018
Hailing from the small, northern California town of Chico, Jack Knight has harnessed influences ranging from Led Zeppelin to Neutral Milk Hotel and infused them with fuzzy guitars and witty lyrics on his debut LP, Some for Jack, Some for Jesus. There’s an air of familiarity the first time you listen through the album like when...
Interview with Today JuniorMay 11, 2018
Spring seems to have finally sprung which means summer is just around the corner and with it a stream of tracks vying to be the quintessential track of the summer. I submit for your consideration Boston trio Today Junior’s latest release, Single Forever. The band’s newest LP is stacked with 10 fuzzy surf rock...
Album Review: Kyle & The Pity Party – HomeFebruary 9, 2018
It’s been about two and a half years since I first stumbled across the little emo gem of an EP, Everything’s Bad, from Kingston, New York quartet Kyle & The Pity Party. I remember being exceptionally impressed with the way the band mixed various genres cohesively, making them accessible to...
Album Review: Salt Creek – Where Strangers GoJune 21, 2017
Things have been non-stop for Lincoln, Nebraska quintet Salt Creek since their inception just over a year ago. After releasing a two-song demo and music video the band took to the road making fans across the Midwest. The guys took a brief break to record their debut EP, Where Strangers Go, which managed to make...
Michigander Releases Live in Chicago EPFebruary 10, 2017
Album Review: The Lake Effects – IowayFebruary 4, 2017
Interview with The Lake EffectsJanuary 31, 2017
New Discovery: PLGRMSJanuary 12, 2017
As my musical horizons broaden, I find myself listening to more and more music that I probably wouldn’t have listened to before starting UBL. Thinking back, I wonder how I didn’t get bored with my music as there wasn’t much variety. Thankfully, my tastes have grown allowing me to enjoy a plethora of...
Album Review: The Flats – Auburn in the EverlastJanuary 5, 2017
Album Review: Trouper – All Things Are ShadowSeptember 15, 2016
I’m a bit behind on my new music discoveries as of late. With moving and overall adulting, I just haven’t had the time that I used to to fall down the internet rabbit hole and discovering new bands left and right. Thankfully I’m lucky enough that sometimes I just happen to have new music thrown...
Mo Pop Festival 2016: Day 2August 14, 2016
The morning of day two of Mo Pop Festival was much different than that of day one. First off, it was raining which helped cool it down a bit (though the humidity still felt a bit ridiculous). Secondly, my mood had done a complete 180 after a day packed with amazing performances. I no longer had to...
Mo Pop Festival 2016: Day 1August 9, 2016
I’m going to be honest, the last thing I wanted to do when I woke up the Saturday of Mo Pop was get up and go sit out in the heat all day. I had been dreading the day all week after the temps rose back up to unbearable. That doesn’t even factor in the...
Album Review: DREAMERS – This Album Does Not ExistAugust 6, 2016
- Interview with Leggy under Interviews
- Album Review: Leggy – Dang under Album Reviews
- New Discovery: Dead Poet Society under New Discoveries
- Concert Review: First Aid Kit under Concert Reviews
- Album Review: Kyle & The Pity Party – Home under Album Reviews
- Concert Review: DL Rossi, Mike Mains & the Branches, The Hounds Below, and Flint Eastwood under Concert Reviews, Michigan Music
- Album Review: Mike Mains & the Branches – Calm Down, Everything is Fine under Album Reviews, Michigan Music
- Concert Review: Flint Family BBQ Featuring Blaire Alise & the Bombshells, George Morris & the Gypsy Chorus, Monument, Monument, Joe Hertler & the Rainbow Seekers, and Flint Eastwood under Concert Reviews, Michigan Music
- Concert Review: So Long, Farewell Tour Part II featuring Motion City Soundtrack under Concert Previews
- Mo Pop Festival 2014 Part III: Cold War Kids, Bad Suns, and Trampled By Turtles under Festival Reviews