Album Review: Mouth Sounds – Sing or Swim EPMarch 13, 2017
Charlotte’s Daniel Howie is no stranger to the music industry. Howie spent the early 2010’s garnering some buzz with indie-rock outfit Sugar Glyder by performing at SXSW as well as sharing the stage with acts like Silversun Pickups, Neon Trees, and Manchester Orchestra. Since the band broke up in 2012, Howie has traded in the indie-rock...
New Discovery: PLGRMSJanuary 12, 2017
As my musical horizons broaden, I find myself listening to more and more music that I probably wouldn’t have listened to before starting UBL. Thinking back, I wonder how I didn’t get bored with my music as there wasn’t much variety. Thankfully, my tastes have grown allowing me to enjoy a plethora of...
Album Review: Dream Chief – Movement EPNovember 26, 2015
Album Review: Strange Talk – Cast AwayJune 13, 2014
Australian quartet, Strange Talk, finally released their debut album Cast Away. The group contains a talented dance producer with a DJ background, a classically trained violinist, and two experienced funk/soul musicians. Strange Talk scored a Billboard Uncharted hit with their single, “Climbing Walls” last year. Inspiration for this album was drawn from M83, Phoenix,...
Album Review: Parade of Lights – Golden EPMarch 7, 2014
Los Angeles based Parade of Lights began creating music in 2011 and playing shows in the few states surrounding California. Core members Ryan Daly and Anthony Improgo have been creating music together since 2006; however, due to demanding schedules they ended up taking a break. After reuniting and creating Parade of Lights, the...
Album Review: Phantogram – VoicesFebruary 19, 2014
Phantogram‘s Sarah Barthel and Josh Carter famously dubbed their dream-pop/hip-hop fusion “street beat,” which makes it hard to believe that they record their music in a barn in upstate, rural New York. After their first LP, Eyelid Movies, they dodged the sophomore slump bullet with their major label debut, ...
Album Review: Hollow & Akimbo – Hollow & AkimboFebruary 16, 2014
Ann Arbor based duo Hollow & Akimbo‘s self-titled album is mindfully crafted in a way that requires multiples listens to hear every intricate texture layered perfectly over the album’s 10 tracks. Childhood friends Jonathan Visger and Brian Konicek have worked together before as part of the band Mason Proper...
Concert Review: Hellogoodbye, Metric, and ParamoreDecember 8, 2013
Thursday, November 21, 2013: The Palace, Auburn Hills, Michigan
It had been a while since I had listened to Hellogoodbye. So long, in fact, that I hadn’t even checked out the album they released back in 2010, Would It Kill You. Happy to report that they’ve only gotten better. Lead singer, Forrest...
- Single Review: Ghost Town Remedy – Super Glue under Single Reviews
- New Discovery: Dead Poet Society under New Discoveries
- Album Review: AØK – Waves under Album Reviews, Michigan Music
- Album Review: Ghost Town Remedy – Caffeine Dreams under Album Reviews
- Album Review: Kyle & The Pity Party – Everything’s Bad under Album Reviews
- Album Review: Connie Constance – In the Grass under Album Reviews
- Album Review: Crepes – Cold Summers EP under Album Reviews
- Album Review: The Flats – Auburn in the Everlast under Album Reviews
- Chill on the Hill 2015 Part I: Arkells, Coleman Hell, Vinyl Theatre, Beartooth, Night Riots, and Thousand Foot Krutch under Festival Reviews
- New Discovery: DREAMERS under New Discoveries