Tag: Alt Rock
Album Review: All Is Well – I Swear SomedaySeptember 5, 2017
Grand Rapids melodic post-rock quintet All Is Well use their first full-length LP to explore the depths of mental health issues, reaching beyond the genre’s tendencies and exploring a vast sonic landscape that’s quite impressive especially for a first album. I Swear Someday was written at a time of transition for the members of...
Album Review: Trouper – All Things Are ShadowSeptember 15, 2016
I’m a bit behind on my new music discoveries as of late. With moving and overall adulting, I just haven’t had the time that I used to to fall down the internet rabbit hole and discovering new bands left and right. Thankfully I’m lucky enough that sometimes I just happen to have new music thrown...
Album Review: Big Shoals – Hard LessonsAugust 29, 2016
It’s the time of year where I start dreaming of cooler weather, horror movies, and lots of pumpkin pie. There are certain genres of music that I turn to when I’m starting to crave the fall. I’m not sure what it is about Americana music, but for some reason it’s my perfect soundtrack to a...
New Discovery: HarveyJanuary 26, 2016
Concert Preview: Secret Friends Fest 2016January 4, 2016
Way back when UBL was just getting its start, we attended a show that kind of gave us our first glimpse into the budding Detroit music scene. The first annual Secret Friends Fest’s roster was filled with many up and coming bands mostly from right here in the mitten state. In just...
Album Review: NOside – RapidisassemblySeptember 14, 2015
Every year as soon as August hits I begin to crave fall. I love a good flannel or hoodie, some pumpkin pie, and, for some strange reason, rock and emo music. Maybe it’s the memories of walking around the campus of my old alma mater, Grand Valley State University, while the leaves were changing, headphones firmly...
Concert Review: Hellogoodbye, Metric, and ParamoreDecember 8, 2013
Thursday, November 21, 2013: The Palace, Auburn Hills, Michigan
It had been a while since I had listened to Hellogoodbye. So long, in fact, that I hadn’t even checked out the album they released back in 2010, Would It Kill You. Happy to report that they’ve only gotten better. Lead singer, Forrest...
Concert Review: O’Brother, The Front Bottoms, and Manchester OrchestraDecember 8, 2013
Tuesday, November 19, 2013: St. Andrew’s Hall, Detroit, Michigan
Unfortunately I couldn’t make it in time to see O’Brother’s full set. They were mid-song when we walked into St. Andrew’s. The stage was awash in red light, casting the band in shadows which completely fit their sound. Dark, mysterious, a little...
- Interview with Leggy under Interviews
- Album Review: Leggy – Dang under Album Reviews
- Album Review: Kyle & The Pity Party – Everything’s Bad under Album Reviews
- Chill on the Hill 2014 Part III: Bad Religion, A Day to Remember, and The Offspring under Festival Reviews
- Concert Review: Team Spirit, Hawthorne Heights, and Motion City Soundtrack under Concert Reviews
- New Discovery: Dead Poet Society under New Discoveries
- Interview with The Lake Effects under Interviews, Michigan Music
- Secret Friends Fest / Silent Lions Compartments Release Show under Festival Reviews, Michigan Music
- Jessica’s Favorite Performances of 2014 under Best Of, Michigan Music
- Jessica’s Favorite Albums of 2015 under Best Of, Michigan Music